Starting or Running a Homeschool Group?
I hope these articles are helpful. Please feel free to share them with your leadership team.
Important issues for all homeschool groups
- Tax Exempt Status for Homeschool Support Groups
- Do You Know About Required IRS Filings?
- FAQ on IRS Form 990-N the required IRS annual report for small organizations
For the homeschool group just starting out
- What’s in a name?
- Choosing a leadership team
- Writing your mission statement
- Getting an EIN from the IRS
- Identifying who you are by writing bylaws
- Sample bylaws
- Budgeting basics
There’s a lot to do, so this checklist will keep you on track: A checklist for new homeschool organizations
For the established homeschool group
- Insurance for homeschool groups
- Hiring paid teachers: Are they employees or independent contractors?
- Preparing financial statements
- Best Financial Practices to avoid theft and embezzlement
- Easy Fundraisers for Homeschool Groups
- How do we become a recognized nonprofit?
- Do we need to incorporate?
- Seven great reasons to incorporate
If you do incorporate as a nonprofit in your state and intend to apply for 501(c)(3) tax exempt status, make sure your Articles of Incorporation contain the special language the IRS requires for 501(c)(3) organizations.
501(c)(3) tax exempt status for homeschool co-ops
- When to become a 501(c)(3)tax exempt organization?
- Do we need 501(c)(3) status?
- Are you ready for the 501(c)(3) application?
- Check list for homeschool groups applying to 501(c)(3) tax exempt status
Tax exempt status revoked. Did it happen to your group?
- Lost your tax exempt status? You may have and not know about it!
- How do I know if my organization lost its tax exempt status?