How can a homeschool mom redeem BoxTops?

I was wondering how I could redeem my boxtops,but I’m not in a homeschooling group, I’m just a homeschooler. How can I redeem them?


According to the BoxTops4Education Official Rules you must be a school or a recognized 501(c)(3) tax exempt homeschool association in order for Box Tops to redeem your box tops.

General Mills does not give check to individual families.

I recommend you give the box tops you have to a school or 501(c)(3) homeschool group.

Carol Topp, CPA

Box Tops now requires 501c3 status for homeschool groups

Bad news.

Box Tops for Education now requires homeschool groups to have 501c3 tax exempt status with the IRS in order to participate.

Here’s what their website states:

“Eligibility is also available to IRS recognized 501(c)(3) home school associations in the United States, organized and operated primarily for educational purposes and containing a class of 15 or more students from Kindergarten to 8th grade.”


This means that support groups that are considered 501c7 social clubs by the IRS are not eligible to participate.

It may also mean that tiny co-ops with gross revenues under $5,000 who are considered tax exempt by the IRS, but have no written determination letter (i.e. proof) may not be eligible.

There is also no clear word if current groups will be “grandfathered in” and allowed to continue to participate.


What can a homeschool group do?

1. Discontinue the Box Tops program. (Bummer).

2. Complain to Box Tops for Education. I’m happy to help you compose a letter with some information regarding the tax status of most co-ops if you think it would help.

3. Apply for 501c3 tax exempt status. Start by reading my articles here:

4. Work with your state homeschool organization if they have 501c3 tax exempt status. In VA, a local group mails their Box Tops to the state organization (HEAV). The state homeschool organization then takes about half of the money from Box Tops and sends the local group the other half. It might work for you, although you give up a portion of the funds.


Carol Topp, CPA