Tips on filing the IRS Form 1023



Several families and myself have started a brand new homeschool group. Since we are new I am trying to do all the filings myself. I have already filed and been granted the non-profit corporation status for the state of Florida, acquired the EIN number and now I am trying to file for the 501( c)(3) status. Can you advise me on which forms I need to file to obtain the status? I have the 1023 form, but it looks like I need to file one of the schedules.

Thank you for your help.

Caroline H



You’re correct that IRS Form 1023 is the application for 501c3 tax exempt status.

Typically homeschool groups do not need to file any of the schedules for the Form 1023. A homeschool group might offer college scholarships and then they fill in Schedule H, but that’s it.

I do not recommend that most homeschool groups file Schedule B Schools, Colleges and Universities. Most homeschool groups do not fit the IRS definition of a school (regularly scheduled curriculum, faculty of qualified teachers, facilities, etc.)

If you wish, I can review your Form 1023 before you mail it to the IRS. I call it “Buying Peace of Mind.” 🙂
Your organization can save money by doing much of the work yourself. I have helped more than 25 homeschool organizations obtain tax exempt status and you can benefit from my experience. Cost: $50/hour for approximately 2 to 4 hours (approximate total cost $100-$200). Time: 1-2 weeks.

BookCoverImageYou might also benefit greatly from my book The IRS and Your Homeschool Organization available in paperback for $9.95 or e-reader format for $3.99

Carol Topp, CPA