Are you a tutor, teacher or director of a homeschool business? Especially a business providing services to homeschooling families.

Have I got a book for you!

This ebook is a great resource for:

  • Tutors or teachers for a homeschool program paid as an Independent Contractor
  • Classical Conversations(R) Directors
  • CC tutors
  • Coaches, musicians, artists, etc. hired to teach at a homeschool co-op

Thank you so much for the tax resources you put out there, it’s been super helpful for me as a director of our CC Homeschool campus! -Jessica

The ebook is 60 pages long and contains information on

  • Business Start Up
  • LLC status
  • Tax Deductions
  • Tax Forms
  • Sample Tax Returns
  • Self Employment Tax
  • Paying Yourself
  • Paying Others
  • Businesses Using Churches
  • Should My Homeschool Program Be a Nonprofit?

As we do our taxes this year I am thankful for your knowledge and being willing to share it. I GUARANTEE many women WEREN’T doing their taxes correctly. -Julie

The author is Carol Topp, CPA, an accountant and a retired homeschooling mother. She is the author of Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them and Not Burn Out, The IRS and Your Homeschool Organization, Money Management in a Homeschool Organization, Paying Workers in a Homeschool Organization and Taxes for Licensed Classical Conversations® Directors.


What else do you have to explain my taxes?

I have a webinar on the details of preparing a tax return called “Tax Prep for Homeschool Business Owners.” I think it will be very helpful (in addition to the ebook). The cost to view the 90 minute webinar is $10.  Purchase the Tax Prep Webinar for $10

Purchase the Tax Prep Webinar for $10

Is the book similar to the Taxes for Licensed Classical Conversations (CC) Directors® ebook?

In early 2018 I wrote an ebook for CC Directors that was mentioned in the CC Directors Licensing Guide (DLG). That ebook was only available to licensed CC Directors via Classical Conversation’s® web portal. Many people found it difficult to locate the ebook in the CC DLG or they were unaware that it existed. This ebook is not limited to only CC Directors.

Additionally, the IRS made massive changes to the tax code and forms for the 2019 tax season (2018 returns). The CC ebook mentioned these changes, but some details and the forms had not yet been released when the book was written. This ebook explains the new forms and tax code changes.

This ebook also includes information on taxes for CC tutors (not just the Directors), teachers at homeschool programs, or anyone offering services to the homeschool market. These situations are not addressed in the Taxes for Licensed Classical Conversations® Directors ebook.

It’s only 60 pages. What do you NOT cover?

This is for service-based businesses such as teaching, tutoring, directing or managing in the homeschool marketplace. I do not cover selling products (books, curriculum, etc), state taxes, or sales tax. If you are a bookseller or carry inventory, the book will still be helpful, but you’ll need professional help to understand inventory management and sales tax reporting.
This ebook does not address taxes for partnerships or corporations. Their tax situations are complex and beyond the scope of the ebook.

Can I pass the ebook along to a friend?

No, you may not share the ebook. Do not email the file to another person. Do not store the file on a cloud-based shared file system. Do not share it on social media. You are in violation of my copyright if you pass this ebook along to another person.

What to CAN do is post and share the link to the ebook so other people can request their own copy. Thanks for doing that!

Share this link:

Will you do my taxes?

No, sorry. I no longer prepare individual tax returns. I focus on writing, podcasting, webinars and  consultations with homeschool nonprofit organizations.

You can find a local tax preparer from these sources:

Both of these websites allow you to search for a local tax preparer who is knowledgeable about taxes for small sole proprietor businesses. Look for the Enrolled Agent (EA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation.

Carol Topp, CPA

Helping homeschool leaders