Tiny Homeschool Groups: Do We Need a Bank Account?
Tiny homeschool groups have different challenges than large programs. They are limited on resources, volunteers, and activities. But they still have questions about legal status, money and taxes that the large homeschool organizations have.
In this 4-part podcast series, Carol Topp, CPA answers the common questions that tiny homeschool groups face. All podcasts are available at HomeschoolCPA.com/Podcast
- Episode #175 Are We a Nonprofit?
- Episode #176 Do We Need to File Anything?
- Episode #177 Do We Need to Pay Taxes?
- Episode #178 Do We Need a Bank Account?
In this episode Carol Topp will explain when a tiny homeschool group might need to open a checking account.
- The pros and cons of operating in cash and without a checking account
- Warning against using a personal checking account
- Steps to take before opening a checking account
- Formation documents: either bylaws of Articles of Association or Articles of Incorporation. Samples available here
- EIN from the IRS Helpful tips on getting an EIN .
Join the Facebook group for homeschool leaders: I am a Homeschool Group Leader. 600+ homeschool leaders offer ideas, encouragement and respectful exchange of ideas. https://www.facebook.com/groups/72534255742/
Money Management in a Homeschool Organization
- Does your homeschool group manage their money well?
- Do you have a budget and know where the money is spent?
- Do you know how to prevent fraud?
This 115 page book will help you to open a checking account, establish a budget, prevent mistakes and fraud, use software to keep the books, prepare a financial statement and hire workers. Sample forms and examples of financial statements in clear English are provided.
Click here for more information