I recently read an article from CPA Practice Advisor about trends in accounting. The author mentioned 3 trends and I think all 3 can be beneficial to homeschool leaders.
- The rise of cloud accounting. No more are the days of emailing spreadsheets back and forth, finding errors and inconsistencies, and being reliant on a desktop accounting system.
- The focus is on helping small and mid-sized businesses. Accountancy firms have begun to provide advisory services, not just tax and compliance.
- Advances in technology have increased efficiency. Many solutions available now that simplify and expedite so many processes in accounting firms.
I was pleasantly surprised that I am quite trendy!
- I encourage my nonprofit clients to consider online accounting programs like Quickbooks Online or WaveApps.com. These programs allow several people (including me) to remotely access the financial data for your group. That’s good for accountability and shared workload!
- I focus on small nonprofit organizations. And I provide consultations, not just filings IRS forms (although that is very important to do!). This focus helps me be an expert on nonprofits, taxes, and homeschooling-a unique combination!
- I’m using technology to improve efficiency. Many of you who schedule phone consultations use my online scheduling service, Time Trade. My latest new tool such as online project management called Quire. These tools help me keep on track as a I handle a larger load of clients each year. They also help the homeschool leaders know what information I need from them and the steps they need to follow in getting (or keeping) tax exempt status.
I’m always looking for ways to improve my services to you my clients.
Carol Topp, CPA