Teacher hired to teach homeschooled children asks about taxes

A teacher has been asked to teach homeschooled children and asks about her taxes.


I am currently an elementary school teacher who has been approached by parents that want their children home schooled, but would rather have a private teacher do the instructing. How would I file taxes if I chose to go that route?


If you are hired to teach homeschooled children, then you are running a sole proprietorship business, much like a private tutor or a music teacher.
You will file taxes on a Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business as part of your Form 1040.

I have several blog posts advising people like you who want to offer services to homeschool parents.
Is it Homeschool or Mary Poppins?
Can I hire a homeschool governess?
Is it legal to homeschool other people’s children?

Good luck!

Carol Topp, CPA

Leave a Reply