Do I need to give my SSN when applying for an EIN?

A homeschool leader would rather not give her SSN when applying for an EIN for her homeschool co-op.

Thanks for your guidance! I’m a treasurer of a co-op that’s just starting out. We need a bank account. I’ve tried applying for the EIN (Employer Identification Number) online, but the IRS website is asking for the SSN (Social Security Number)  of the responsible party. Do I need to give my own? I’d prefer not to. Thanks in advance,

Paula in TX


Someone must give a Social Security Number (SSN) so that the IRS can always trace leadership of a nonprofit (or a business) to a human being.
You can request the IRS remove your name from the EIN when you step down from being treasurer.
When that time comes, fill out IRS Form 8822-B and change the “responsible party” to the new leader.

Carol Topp, CPA

Leave a Reply