I’ve heard this too many times from homeschool group leaders to ignore it any longer.
“We’re just a bunch of homeschool moms”
It’s usually used along with one of these sentences,
…therefore we don’t want to (or need to) ...
- be formally structured
- follow the law
- pay taxes
- apply for tax exempt status
- pay our workers as employees (according to the law)
- record our income or expenses
- notify our church host of the for-profit nature of our group, etc…
I’ve heard or read just about every one of these excuses!
Does saying “we’re just a bunch of homeschool moms” imply that:
- homeschool moms are incapable of running legitimate businesses or nonprofit organizations?
- homeschool moms can’t understand legal and tax issues?
- homeschool moms are claiming ignorance as a defense against obeying the law?
Homeschool moms are intelligent, capable women. I know of hundreds of homeschool moms running businesses and nonprofit organizations very successfully and legally. I know some that are accountants and lawyers or, in the true spirit of homeschooling, are self-educated to understand complex tax and legal situations.
So let’s not imply that homeschool moms are not capable or not intelligent by saying “we’re just a bunch of homeschool moms”!
Instead, we should do what we do at home with our children:
Get educated about the legal and financial aspects of running a homeschool organization.
I have resources to help:
Carol Topp, CPA
Helping Homeschool Leaders who are smart and capable!