What’s the biggest mistake homeschool leaders make? It’s trying to be a lone wolf and do everything by yourself.
In this short podcast episode (11 minutes) Carol Topp, the HomeschoolCPA, interviews homeschool leader Sheri Payne from Virginia. Sheri is the Director of Leader Support for HEAV, the Home Education Association of Virginia. She shares advice on many topics including the mistakes she made in leading a homeschool organization.
In this episode of the HomeschoolCPA podcast, Carol Topp and Sheri discuss:
- Her biggest mistake as a leader: doing everything by herself
- The importance of getting a team
- Finding people who are good in areas you lack
- Peace-making and conflict resolution
- Training you successor and deliberately mentoring leaders
My favorite quote from Sheri in this episode is “I can’t be a lone wolf because I have deficiencies in my personality.”
Be sure to tune into the other HomeschoolCPA podcast episodes with Sheri Payne including:
- How to Start a Virtual Homeschool Co-op
- Deliberately Mentoring Leaders. How Do You Do It?
In the podcast, Carol mentioned the I Am a Homeschool Group Leader Facebook Group. It is a closed group (meaning you have to request to join) of 570 homeschool leaders from across the USA. You can join us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/72534255742/
Help your homeschool group get organized and run smoothly!
Author and homeschool advisor, Carol Topp, CPA, has created a Homeschool Organization Board Manual. It is a template to create a board member binder. It has:
- A list of important documents to keep in your binder
- Section dividers so you can organize the important papers
- Tools to help you run your meetings smoothly including
- A sample agenda that you can use over and over again
- A calendar of board meetings
But this is more than just a few cover sheets for your binder. It is also a 55-page board training manual with helpful articles on:
- Suggested Board Meeting Topic List
- Board Duties
- Job Descriptions for Board of Directors
- What Belongs in the Bylaws?
- Compensation and Benefits for Board Members
- Best Financial Practices Checklist
- How to Read and Understand Financial Statements
- Developing a Child Protection Policy
Read more about the Homeschool Organization Board Manual
Carol Topp, CPA